Current:Home > NewsJacksonville, Florida, mayor has Confederate monument removed after years of controversy -Capitatum
Jacksonville, Florida, mayor has Confederate monument removed after years of controversy
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 05:05:30
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Crews removed a Confederate monument from a Jacksonville, Florida, park Wednesday morning following years of public controversy.
Mayor Donna Deegan ordered the removal of the “Tribute to the Women of the Southern Confederacy” monument, which has been in Springfield Park since 1915. She said the decision is not an attempt to erase history but to show that people have learned from it.
“Symbols matter. They tell the world what we stand for and what we aspire to be,” Deegan said in a statement. “By removing the confederate monument from Springfield Park, we signal a belief in our shared humanity. That we are all created equal. The same flesh and bones. The same blood running through our veins. The same heart and soul.”
Serious discussion of the monument’s fate began in 2020 after Deegan’s predecessor, Mayor Lenny Curry, ordered the removal of another monument, a bronze statue of a Confederate soldier that had been in a downtown park for more than 100 years. The move came weeks after the death of George Floyd at the hands of a Minneapolis police officer and on the heels of marches and other calls for social justice.
A proposal to remove the Confederate women tribute was introduced to the Jacksonville City Council in 2021, but the Republican-controlled board never moved on it. Earlier this month, Jacksonville’s Office of General Counsel determined that city council approval was unnecessary because city funds were not being used for the work. As the city’s top executive, Deegan, a Democrat, had the authority to order the statue’s removal, city attorneys said. The $187,000 bill is being covered by a grant that the Jessie Ball duPont Fund and anonymous donors made to 904WARD, city officials said.
Florida Rep. Dean Black, who is chair of the Republican Party of Duval County, posted on social media that the monument’s removal was a stunning abuse of power.
“This action, undertaken in the middle of the night, during the holidays, without consultation of city leaders or a vote by the council, is another in a long line of woke Democrats obsession with Cancel Culture and tearing down history,” Black said.
The monument will remain in city storage until members of the community and the city council can determine what to do with it, officials said.
veryGood! (958)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- 'A brave act': Americans react to President Biden's historic decision
- Yordan Alvarez hits for cycle, but Seattle Mariners move into tie with Houston Astros
- Emily in Paris Season 4 Trailer Teases Emily Moving On From The Gabriel-Alfie Love Triangle
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Thom Brennaman lost job after using gay slur. Does he deserve second chance?
- Evacuations lifted for Salt Lake City fire that triggered evacuations near state Capitol
- Bruce Springsteen's net worth soars past $1B, Forbes reports
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- More money could result in fewer trips to ER, study suggests
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Takeaways from a day that fundamentally changed the presidential race
- Utah wildfire prompts mandatory evacuations
- Charmed's Holly Marie Combs Reveals Shannen Doherty Promised to Haunt Her After Death
- Sam Taylor
- 'A brave act': Americans react to President Biden's historic decision
- 'Mind-boggling': Woman shoots baby in leg over $100 drug debt, police say
- How to Watch the 2024 Paris Olympics Opening Ceremony and All Your Favorite Sports
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Officials to release video of officer shooting Black woman in her home after responding to 911 call
EPA awards $4.3 billion to fund projects in 30 states to reduce climate pollution
Happy birthday, Prince George! William and Kate share new photo of 11-year-old son
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
New York Regulators Found High Levels of TCE in Kindra Bell’s Ithaca Home. They Told Her Not to Worry
Watch rappeller rescue puppy from 25-foot deep volcanic fissure on Hawaii's Big Island
U.S. travel advisory level to Bangladesh raised after police impose shoot-on-sight curfew amid protests